Saturday, October 07, 2006

Socktoberfest

socktober is now into day 7 and I haven't even knit one stitch on a pair of socks... bad I know!
I had big plans of starting on some new opal yarn I bought... never happened?!?!
then I had plans on working on some ( many) unfinished socks.. some need a toe, some a second mate. There is still time for this tho.
I'm going in a craft show in town Nov 25th, so have been busy making a few new things for that... I finished the Nostalgic baby cardi form Knit It, and a touque from some of my handspun yarn, it's a grey llama plied with dyed silk.. very nice... when the sun comes out I'll take a pic, I also started on another hat from some hand spun.

here's the socktober question and answer:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started making socks a couple yrs ago, I'm a self taught knitter, and also taught myself to knit socks, altho lots of help from many online sites!

What was your first pair? my first completed pair can be seen >HERE< they were just made from some yarn I had around the house, the heals were shot pretty fast and ended up in the garbage... this pair is still a wip, it's one of the pairs I had hoped to finish this month, but sadly probally won't. It's made from some twinkle toes yarn I won off of ebay.
What would you have done differently? finished them??

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I don't really have a fav, but I guess I'll say yarn with wool in it, since my toes are ALWAYS cold, I do live in Canada! ;~)

Do you like to crochet your socks?I have crocheted socks.. my first ones, slippers really, U tried to crochet them from socks yarn, but it never took, and I started knitting them. or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I started on DPN's but now very much enjoy the magic loop... 2 socks on one circ, I have a problem with gauge and this way both socks will be the same!
Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) short row ( toe up)but have done the flap too

How many pairs have you made? not many, knit probally 5 or 6.. and crocheted about the same amount.

No comments: